time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life - brian andreas




Monday, September 12, 2011

bicycle

Last month I went to the Goodwill.
In search of a small round mirror.
One small round mirror.

Instead, I came home with this:

$14.99.

I needed it.
Because the lines are so cute.
It reminds me of the yellow banana seat bike I learned to ride on.

love this action shot...
i look mad in this picture.  i'm not sure why...i was actually really excited.
maybe the speed bump scared me.


When I first got the bike I was SO excited!  Adrenaline rush.
That's what happens at the Goodwill.
And then I don't know what happened?!  I'm embarrassed to admit that this project was my longest...ever.
It sat in pieces in my living room for days weeks:



nice shadow...i am such an awesome photographer.

I took off the grossest handle grips ever.
Imagine a child dipping their hands in maple syrup. 
And jam. 
And lotion.
And then touched the grips.
Every day for a year.
They were so disgusting.

these used to be clear.  sick.

Next I removed all the awesome decals:




I'm really glad they put on like 1600 of them.
And used extra strength super duper glue on them all.
And it left a sticky residue that would never come off.
Ever.
Not even with the aid of these things...:

fail.

fail.

fail.

...which were all suggestions online.

The only thing that worked was sand paper.
Which seems to be a theme with all my projects.
Sand.
Sand.
Sand.

I sanded (did I mention that?!), ordered new hand grips, primed with Kilz, painted with Rustoleum Avacado Green paint, bought a basket and primed/painted it with Krylon Watermelon. 

And then came the problems.

I COULD not get it back together.
I don't know if it was because Beckham got hold of the hardware and spread it all over the house.
Or if it's because I've never put a bike together.
Or if it's because I'm a moron.
Whatever the reason...I had to recruit Dylan and our jack-of-all-trades friend Paul to put it back together.
And it took them 2 hours.
Which actually made me feel better about the fact that I couldn't do it myself.
A big thanks to Dylan and Paul. 
Without them, this bike would be in the landfill.
Or back at the Goodwill, because I donate.  And recycle.


the tires are my favorite part.

I have no idea why it looks like I took these pictures at midnight.
It was totally light outside.

Anyway...
I took her for a spin tonight. 
Love it.
No gears.
Love it.
Pedal breaks.
Love it.
And a basket in front.
Love it.


Did I mentioned I love it?

xo,
tracy

6 comments:

  1. Ok that's so cute!!! I want it. Hand it over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always amaze me with the potential you see in random everyday things. She is so cute. Does she have a name yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!! Seth actually used to put bikes together for a living a while ago. He put mine together for my birthday. Just fyi for if you ever decide to tackle another bike project :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. AdoRabLe! So glad Dylan & Paul got it back together...it sure would have been a shame to send it back to goodwill. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're genius. And when do you get all this done? Is this what you are doing on your back porch in the middle of the night with a head lamp on?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um you are a genius! LOVELOVELOVE your NEW bike! I have a thing for bikes with baskets--true story! Well done on the make-over! Wish I could see it in person...

    ReplyDelete